There was a church just south of the village of Portavogie in 1306 called Talbetona after the Talbot family who came here with the Normans. It was repaired in 1622 then fell into disuse. The local parishioners worshipped at Inishargy Church until a new church was built in Ballyesborough in 1850. Ballyhalbert is the modern name for the parish of Talbotstown, alias Talpestone. Replacing a Compton organ, a chamber organ dating from 181 was installed in 1981 and is reputed to be by Thomas Eliot. The pulpit is unusual in that it is entered from the vestry – a reminder of the period when the preacher remived his surplice before preaching the sermon.The old Church of St Mary was beside Ardkeen Castle on the little peninsula in Strangford Lough, an ancient ecclesiastical site. The church at Ardkeen was built in 1847 in a more convenient situation for most parishioners and consecrated 27 May 1847 when the Revd Alexander Bullick was rector. (He was rector for 40 years).The old church was left to ruin. The Glebe House was a small plain house in Ardkeen townland. The tower was completed in 1891 when Revd Hugh Stowell was rector and paid for by public subscirption.Ardkeen was grouped with Ballyhalbert on 1st September 1967.
St. Andrew, Main Road, Ballyhalbert (Portavogie)
Christ Church, Ballygela Road, Ardkeen (Kirkliston)
Christ Church, Ardkeen
Morning Prayer – 10.30am (Holy Communion 1st Sunday) Evening Prayer – 6.30pm (2nd and 4th Sundays) Baptisms by Arrangement
St Andrew, Ballyhalbert
Morning Prayer – 12noon (Holy Communion 1st Sunday) Evening Prayer – 6.30pm (1st, 3rd & 5th Sundays) Baptisms by Arrangement
Main Road, Ballyhalbert, Portavogie, BT22 1DA.