It is the policy of the Church of Ireland to safeguard all children sharing in its ministry and to protect them from all forms of harm and abuse.
The Church of Ireland believes that children should never experience abuse of any kind. Everyone has a responsibility to promote the welfare of all children and to keep them safe. The Church of Ireland is committed to implementing procedures and practices which safeguard all children.
The Diocese of Down and Dromore adheres to Safeguarding Trust: the Church of Ireland Code of Good Practice for Ministry with Children. It is designed to enable all parties within the Church of Ireland to fulfil their proper responsibilities within this ministry.
- To create a safe environment which will promote healthy and fulfilling participation of children in spiritual, educational and recreational activities and minimise the possibility of harm, either deliberate or accidental.
- To encourage safe practices for those who work with children.
- To set out the appropriate responses and procedures in the event of accident or abuse taking place.
- To safeguard those who work with children from the consequences of unfounded accusations.
The Church of Ireland recognises that:
- the welfare of the child is paramount;
- all children, regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation or identity, have the right to equal protection from all forms of harm or abuse;
- some children are additionally vulnerable because of the impact of previous experiences, their level of dependency, communication needs or other issues;
- working in partnership with children, their parents/guardians and other agencies is essential for promoting the welfare of children.
It is the policy of the Church of Ireland to safeguard all adults sharing in its ministry and to protect them from all forms of harm and abuse.
The Diocese of Down and Dromore adheres to the Church of Ireland Adult Safeguarding Code of Good Practice. It applies to all bishops, clergy, staff and volunteers but especially those who have regular contact with adults who may be more at risk of harm or abuse because of their personal or life circumstances.
The Safeguarding Officer for Northern Ireland can provide advice and support in all matters of child and adult safeguarding. Any issues or concerns can be reported directly to her.
Mrs Gillian Taylor
Church of Ireland House
61–67 Donegall Street
Tel: (028) 9082 8860