Celebrating 150 Years of St Jude’s
Bishop David has rededicated St Jude’s Church, Belfast, 150 years after its foundation. The occasion was a Sesquicentennial Service of Thanksgiving and Rededication on Saturday 20 May. It was attended by parishioners past and present and members of the congregation of Knockbreda Parish. Former rector, Canon Norman Jardine and his wife Heather attended, along with Mrs Marlene Moore who represented her late husband and former rector Revd Billy Moore. Norman and Marlene read the lessons. The church was planted by neighbouring Knockbreda Parish Church who had the vision to build a new church on the Ormeau Road within their growing parish. It was completed in 1873 and was the first Church of Ireland church to be built after disestablishment. Canon Bill Press who is the current rector of Knockbreda, preached on Psalm 100, the Jubilate. Refreshments were served after the service along with generous slices of the anniversary cake!