As a diocese we rightly celebrate the good things that God is doing among us.
However, we realise there are places in Down and Dromore where the traditional model of church no longer works or where there is little Christian witness. We want to reach these communities with new, culturally relevant churches where people can meet Jesus, grow in Christlikeness and become agents of transformation in our society.
Church Planting Fund
‘plant forHim’ is the Down and Dromore Church Planting Fund appeal. Our ultimate target is one million pounds but, with giving and the sourcing of some grants, we have raised approximately £100,000. Our Bible Week appeal realised pledges of more than £15,000 per annum. If, as we hope, these pledges remain in place for the next 10 years we will have a fund of at least £250,000.
The seed funding is being used to enable new church plants to be set up in the areas that the diocese has already identified. Churches have been planted in Moneyreagh (October 2013), the Braniel (December 2013) Glen Community Church in Newtownards (August 2014) and in August 2015 a 4th church plant started with a kids club in Killough & Ardglass.
The fund has also contributed towards high quality training for 9 diocesan evangelists with 7 more in training.
Our vision – a society transformed
We believe that the gospel of Christ is the single most effective instrument of transformation in our post–conflict society. We have a vision to see:
- A new generation of children formed in a value system that will bless the community.
- Families supported and the lonely befriended.
- Self–worth restored.
- A generation of young men and women, so transformed by the power of God that they go on to transform their own communities.
Our church planting must be intentional and long–term as we commit ourselves, not to projects but to people.
How can I give?
- Standing order forms will be available at upcoming diocesan events
- You can download a standing order form here
- Request one from the Bishop’s office (Tel: 028 9082 8850 or contact us by email at email@example.com
If you are unable to contribute or don’t feel prompted to do so now, please keep this appeal prayerfully in mind – we are in this for the long haul.