Dromore Cathedral: The Cathedral Church of Christ the Redeemer, Dromore
The Cathedral Church of Christ the Redeemer is situated on the banks of the River Lagan at the heart of the historical market town of Dromore. St Colman of Dromore set up a small ‘daub and wattle’ church on this site in 510 AD. Probably thatched with reeds from the River Lagan which flows beside it, this church site has been, for the fifteen centuries since, a location for the worship of Jesus Christ, the Redeemer of all humanity.
A medieval church, about which no record exists, was destroyed in the late 1500s. It was King James I who, in 1609, issued Letters Patent, giving the Church of St Colman a new title and a new status: The Cathedral Church of Christ the Redeemer, Dromore (known as Dromore Cathedral). That building was destroyed in 1641 by Irish insurgents. A new structure, of which small portions are still visible, was built by Bishop Jeremy Taylor some twenty years later in 1661.
A narrow structure of around twenty feet wide and one hundred feet long was first built. This forms the base of the current tower aisle. A tower was then built, but soon dismantled.
The Percy aisle was added by Bishop Thomas Percy in 1811. This aisle sits at right angles to the Tower aisle, opposite the pulpit.
A semi–circular Sanctuary in memory of Jeremy Taylor was designed by Thomas Drew FRSA during the ministry of Canon Beresford Knox in 1870. The Organ aisle and Baptistery were added at the same time creating an ‘L’ shaped building.
Finally, the church was made rectangular with the addition of the Harding aisle parallel to the Tower aisle in 1899.
The cathedral organ was extensively restored and rebuilt in 2009 and the console was relocated closer to the choir.
Some 570 families make up the Parish of Dromore and the pattern of worship in the Cathedral reflects the wide range of ages and tastes across the parish. The Church serves mainly as a Parish church for the developing community with four regular services each Sunday, but is also a centre of diocesan life.
Cathedral website: www.dromorecathedral.co.uk
Dean and Chapter
Archdeacon: The Ven T Roderic West
Chancellor: The Revd Canon J Robert Howard
Precentor: The Revd Canon Terence J Cadden
Treasurer: The Revd Canon W Warren Russell
Prebendary of Dromara
Curate: The Revd Trevor J McKeown (NSM)
Organist: Mr Gordon Myers