Internship Opportunity 2011-12Sunday 19 June 2011
The Youth and Children's Department has recently expanded its work and
is looking for an intern to help support new and established diocesan
Title: Youth & Children's Volunteer Intern
Responsible to: Down and Dromore Youth Officer
Workplace: Church of Ireland House, Belfast
Term: 3rd October 2011 - 17th August 2012
Hours of work: 28 hours per week
Holidays: 20 days, negotiated with the Youth Officer
Expenses: £50 per week living allowance plus expenses that may be payable for work related travel and other costs.
CLOSING DATE FRIDAY 30th JULY
The Diocese of Down and Dromore is a Church of Ireland diocese covering the approximate County Down area. There are 76 parishes in the diocese and the Youth and Children’s Department seeks to resource, equip and support their work with children and young people.
We are looking for a young person aged 18-30 who has a passion for working with children and young people and is willing to work hard and develop the learning opportunities that this role has to offer. A successful applicant for this Intern post will have some leadership experience of working with children and/or young people and basic numeracy and literacy skills, as well as computing experience. They will also develop skills in how to resource and support youth and children’s ministry as well as gain valuable experience in working alongside leaders, children and young people.
Summary of Responsibilities
The role will have the following main duties:
- Maintenance and updating of a new Youth and Children’s Department website.
- Regular news article writing for websites, papers and other media.
- Development of up-to-date forms of communication such as video, social networking etc.
- Database development and upkeep.
Resource Management and Development
- Development of an appropriate resource pack for youth and children’s leaders.
- Development of a library of resources for the Youth and Children’s Department.
- Management of the equipment resources of the department, including lending, labelling and purchasing.
- Assistance in supporting parishes in the delivery of their Confirmation preparation classes.
- Assistance in the diocesan involvement in Confirmation services, weekend and other events.
Events and other Initiatives
- Support in the delivery of events and initiatives including training, children’s and youth events & programmes, diocesan events and so on.
- Basic administrative support tasks for the Department as required.
- This internship may also provide the possibility of a placement leadership position in a local parish youth group.
As well as the numerous skills that will be developed over the course of this internship, the successful applicant will also be expected to undertake the following:
- A qualified training course in a field relevant to the internship. This course will be paid for and co-ordinated with the Youth and Children’s Department.
- A basic programme of Bible study and fellowship -co-ordinated with the Department.
- Attendance at several training and support events for those that work with children and young people.
- Any necessary training as may be required to update websites, databases and so on.
- A residential experience with our sister diocese of Albany in New York State. This trip will be co-ordinated and paid for by the Youth and Children’s Department.
This internship will be mostly office based in Belfast and therefore will suit applicants who have ready access to the city. The hours required will be 28 per week and this will mostly be during normal daytime work hours. However the successful applicant must be prepared to undertake other work at evening and weekends. Any extra work beyond the 28 hours can be accrued and taken in lieu in consultation with the Youth Officer.
A living allowance of £200 (£50 per week) will be paid every 4 weeks. Occasional expenses for travel and other costs may also be payable. The use of a car may be desirable but is not essential.
For further information or an application form please contact Andrew Brannigan at the following address:
Church of Ireland House, 61-67 Donegall Street, Belfast, BT1 2QH
email@example.com or tel: 07950 846621